spoko

Robin D.G. Kelley
Cutting for Stone
Abraham Verghese
Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise - Ruth Reichl

Another food book. I was actually reading this and MFK Fisher's The Gastronomical Me together, for an online reading group. Turned out to be a very nice combination.

Ruth Reichl was the restaurant critic at the New York Times for quite a while (I'm sure the book says how long, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look), and this book tells the story of that time. I was surprised by how much I liked the book. At one or another point, in fact, I thought about stopping reading it, but I'm glad I never did. Some of the problems I was having, which I thought was just me, she actually took on directly in the book (and in her NYT column, apparently). Namely, is it a good thing to be spending all that time writing about meals most people could never afford to have? Just about the time that question was really starting to bother me, she addressed the fact that it also bothered her. From that point on, especially, I liked the book.

There's a lot going on in this memoir, psychologically, which made it an interesting read far beyond the food-talk. If you're interested in food, restaurants, journalism, theatre (yes, theatre), or memoirs, I would recommend the book. If you're interested in more than one of those things, I'd recommend it all the more strongly. If you're not particularly interested in any of them, you still might like it. It is a well written, well filled-out book.