spoko

Robin D.G. Kelley
Cutting for Stone
Abraham Verghese
Seabiscuit: An American Legend - Laura Hillenbrand

This is one of my guilty pleasures: one of those story-behind-the-story books (though actually, like many of them, this was the inspiration for the "front" story—the movie, that is). But it's an interesting enough story, so who really cares if they made a movie out of it, or even if that's how I discovered it?

Anyway, it turns out the movie is actually remarkably accurate. They cut some key characters (including a couple of horses) and changed a few things, but for the most part they were pretty true to the spirit of the story, if not to the letter. The one thing they really misrepresented, I think, was Pollard's relationship with his family. Though they never had the money to come see him race (except his father, once, in a pretty low-rent race), it's apparent that he did keep in touch with them. He named his daughter after his sister. Oh, that's another thing they misrepresented: Pollard and Smith were both married. But those omissions are understandable. Though they do change the tone of the story, their inclusion would have made it far to complicated for a movie.

Anyway, it was fun to get to know the backstory. Seabiscuit is absolutely my son's favorite movie, so I've seen it about six hundred times. And will see it another six or eight hundred times, I'm sure. I wonder if I'll find it more or less interesting now that I've listened to this.