spoko

Robin D.G. Kelley
Cutting for Stone
Abraham Verghese
Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life - Karen Armstrong

This book is really intended as a program of sorts, which you're supposed to follow—there are twelve actual steps, and you're to finish each one before moving on to the next. So I should start by admitting that I didn't do that at all. I just went through it like a book. I would actually like to do it as intended, but for now I'm just reviewing it from where I am.

It was well worth reading. Armstrong's views on spirituality and human nature have always resonated with me, and this was certainly no exception. Her project here is, essentially, to take the Golden Rule out of the realm of cliché, and expand it into a guide for living a meaningful life. It may be that I'm already in line with her thinking, but I think she managed to reach that goal. In reading this, I've devoted a lot of time to thinking about the ways in which I interact with other people, at all levels. Aside from the insights I've gained from that, I also feel drawn to change those interactions and relationships so that they're more . . . life-serving, I guess (as long as we're elevating clichés). I really am hoping to go through this again, the way she intended it, and I'm anxious to see what effect it will have.