spoko

Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original
Robin D.G. Kelley
Cutting for Stone
Abraham Verghese
Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating - Jane Goodall, Gail Hudson, Gary McAvoy

Let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of Jane Goodall. I like what I know of her scientific work, I am in line with her advocacy, and she seems like a pretty cool person overall. And of course, if you liked that disclaimer, you're probably not going to like the rest of this review. Because I was quite disappointed in this book.

It's pure advocacy, of course, which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for me (though it is an obstacle). But it's not a very robust work, at all. My major complaint, and I can't believe I'm about to say this, is her truly shoddy use of science. Again and again, she makes sweeping claims that lean very heavily on scant evidence. Besides which, that evidence is either poorly laid out or obviously faulty. She cites certain claims that I know to be problematic, and she isn't just citing them in passing, or as part of an otherwise well-supported claim. There are other citations that I'm not as familiar with, but in this context, I find it difficult to put any confidence in them. So in the end, though I agree almost entirely with her conclusions, I didn't draw much insight or inspiration from this book. She's preaching, not just to the choir, but to only its most enthusiastic, least skeptical members. If you are one, you should love this. If you're not, I'd advise you to skip it.

Also, the subtitle is thoroughly misleading. This book is much more about consumption (of food, granted) than about eating. Yet another disappointment, though a much smaller one.